Friday, February 18, 2011

The Big Girl and Mouse Pooh

I picked up the Glimakra Standard today, a whopping 63 inch weave width!  It appears in very good condition, it is the model with longer lower lams and the slightly heavier beater.  It had been in a storage container so the mice decided that texsolv might be nice to take to the nest - hence there is a trace of "poop" that will need to be cleaned off.   I laid all the pieces out on the basement studio floor and it does not appear to take up as much space as I originally thought.



One thing I thoroughly enjoy is meeting the owners and hearing the story behind the loom.  People who weave or who are associated with weavers are quite interesting.  In this instance the loom belonged to the late wife of a gentleman who runs a spiritual retreat center located in NY.  Very interesting people and places!

So, now I need to strip the loom of all texsolv and heddles.  Heddles get tied in groups of 50 and soaked in a mild water and bleach solution.   Wood gets a Murphy's Oil Soap wash and then a rub of maybe a paste wax.  Re-assembly then will take place.  I will be building a single fly-box for this loom as the width is so wide.  I plan to do damask drawloom items, perfect for a one shuttle weave.  I am still researching adapting a design for a double flybox.

Keep weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment