Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Two Sets of Heddles to Thread

I am sure a novice weaver would be very confused if I were to tell you I have to put each warp end through two heddles on different shafts.

The draw loom warp is beamed and I am preparing the pattern heddles into groups or units.  In damask/satin weaves a five shaft satin works well for patterns with curves as it does not have a clean cut line.  I love curves!  So this weave will be a 5 shaft satin.  Pattern heddles are in groups of 5 attached to one weight called a lingo.

The calculations are:

16/2 cotton warp at 560 ends, epi of 28.  5 shaft satin = five heddles per unit.  560 ends div by 5 = 112 units.  112 units div by 4 pattern shafts = 28 per shaft.

Drawcord warp is in groups of 10 so 112 div 10 = 11.2 groups.  I am excited to get my draw loom back up and working!

No comments:

Post a Comment