Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tiff's and Wif's and Grab

Archive for July, 2009

Tiff’s and Wif’s & GRAB!

Parallels Picture 1
Once I figured out how to get those pesky WIF files copied into word or just a plain file to view, I figured – what the heck …I still need to make my business cards. So I found a Victorian style floral that I am always sketching or doodling in lectures etc. I quite like the end result. I may have a buyer for my 60″ 1 yard AVL warp beam! No room for it in the land of “Dungeons & Dragons” as I call it (the basement is the dungeon and DH is the fire breathing Dragon!).
Tried to import the TIFF image of my card – it is not playing nice! although I did finally figure out the GRAB app on the mac! I want to grab everything! Anyway, the theme of my business card is the same as the title pic on the blog.
Goals for next week – dress loom for place mats in overshot for the Hysterical (I mean Historical Society), thread the opal warp for my throw blankets (also overshot), finish the tassel on the bamboo blankets and take photos before selling and weave a few rag rugs.
Thank you to those who commented on my question regarding moral support re: weaving!
Add comment July 11, 2009Edit

Ch..Ch..Changes…


IMGP3882
Two years ago I had started my own business “Bloomin Loom”. I had classes scheduled, a business plan – you name it – I was on a role! I had studied Textile Design in college as a major and for those that have known me a long time – they think I was a weaver in another life. I was determined to at least produce enough to sell at fairs and boutiques, nothing too out of reach. But then …… my DH who thinks weaving is the biggest waste of time and money – made me close down the business and sell all but my AVL and Countermarche. I was devastated!

But when something is in your blood, it does not remain buried for long. Word to all you DH’s out there – do NOT come between a woman and her loom! In short – I’m back! I am currently in school to complete certification to teach preschool through third grade. The rest of the year is for my own venture.

If anyone has feedback on how you have pursued your love of weaving and who has supported you in this endeavour, I would love to hear. I need inspiration and strength right now.

As I mentioned – I have been sent to the BASEMENT – I am lucky at 5’4 as the ceiling barely accommodates the 16 shaft AVL with flybox and the countermarche.


I love my countermarche, however I dislike tying up. Last year I retro fitted the loom for damask weaving. In the photos below you can see the loom extension and the second set of harnesses with lingoes. From the front you can see the reed and frame for the single draw unit and cords. I studied pictures of various drawloom set ups. At a later date I will add a shaft draw unit.
IMGP3884
IMGP3885
3 comments July 8, 2009Edit

A Fresh Start – Like Summer Strawberries

Up & Down?
IMGP3839

My studio has now been sent to the basement. A tight squeeze for the 60″AVL and Drawloom, but great acoustics!
My shelves are organized and yarn inventoried. Ready for a summer of producing (alright lets not get carried away) ah..hem… weaving.

On the Baby Wolf with the Combby – I have just complete two scarves made from a random warp. Love the color changes and the slight texture of the plain/twill stripes. The first scarf used 10/2 pearl cotton for a light and brighter look. The second used a weft of a cordovan color rayon of a 3/2 weight for a scarf with a little more body.

I decided to go ahead and purchase a raddle for my baby wolf as I find back to front warping saves warp and provides better tension.

The warp for my soft rag rugs is ready to be put on the countermarche loom. I still have a large stash of soft selvedges to make several rugs.

I have a large warp of beautiful soft opal colored cotton for an overshot bedspread using a shetland wool in a dark loamy brown! Yum – reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Add comment July 8, 2009Edit

Back on the Horse (or the loom)


IMGP3879

OVERSHOT

I have the sample warp on for the overshot throw. I am using the same 5/2 cotton but in
a turquoise with the Shetland brown. The Shetland wool should bloomsufficiently to give more emphasis to the pattern. The pattern is a little “long” and the warp is sett at 18 EPI. I will weave off enough to make a couple of throw pillows, this pattern is very similar to a sketch I had done in Italy of some ironwork!
IMGP3881


I finally found a mix of colors which represent that idea. I will try some plain weave with a color inlay, and also weaving single shuttle with a slightly different tone of color (still overshot). Using my EFS (its nothing to do with Olive Oil – thanks Rachael Ray) it’s the end feed shuttle – the yarn is woundon a “pirn” which is stationary – the yarn unravels as it travels across the shed and through a tension device…….and TaDa … Beautiful selvedges.

I think I am going to try dyeing some rayon chenille warps – maybe add a little texture detail with some inlay. I had previously dyed Tencel
 warps and wove with a network draft. They were so much fun! 
The Tencel was easy to
dye with Procion
 dyes – note to self -
lots n lots of cling wrap!
My last experience dyeing skeins of the chenille……..well let’s just say – I still have a lot of natural chenille…..no colors. I did learn that with chenille smaller skeins, very little twisting or squeezing to remove water and be patient.


Add comment July 8, 2009Edit

Archives

Weather

Etsy Store

CONTACT

I can be reached via email at thebloominloom@yahoo.com

Weave Resource Sites

Blogroll

Recent Posts

 

July 2009
MTWTFSS
  Aug »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031 

Categories

Recent Comments

Dawn McCarthy onTextile Design
Cindy Harmon onTextile Design
Dawn McCarthy onShadow Weave and Striped …
Trisha onShadow Weave and Striped …
Bill BartmannonFront to Back (cont) – s…

Flickr Photos

Rakaposhi (7788 m)

CROWS AND GOTHIC CASTLE / CUERVOS Y CASTILLO GOTICO  [  Explore # 2, Jan 11, 2011]

I was filled with awe...

More Photos

Weather

Search

No comments:

Post a Comment